Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Donaudampfschifffahrtsgesellschaft

This word seems to be the German version of "supercalifragilisticexpialidocious".

Donaudampfschifffahrtsgesellschaft (referring to the Danube Steam Navigation Company) is one of the longest words in the German language and I'm going to memorize it as soon as it stops choking me to say it.

OTHER than this delightful word, my beginning German language lessons have taught me...

how to pronounce
Guten Tag and auf Wiedersehen,

how to say "boyfriend" and "party" (less helpful),

and that Ich bin verlolen means that you are lost (VERY helpful).

And secretly, I'm terrified that I will look and sound like this when I arrive in the airport: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QxcaUNqVr3c

4 comments:

  1. Learning german sounds fun! I am rather jealous. Now you know what to say if you fall for a Viennese lad. Lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rule #859: "Do. Not. Date. Anyone!! Do NOT date the locals! There are NO exceptions to this rule!!" Those words are still completely useless. Ha ha!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha! I love this. FYI, the German word for "supercalifragilisticexpialidocious" is "supercalifragilisticexpiali-gatish" . . . like "alligator"; oh, and the 's' at the beginning is pronounced like a 'z'.

    ReplyDelete