
Once upon a time, Cinderella was in Austria on a study abroad. Cinderella loved to dance and one day, Cinderella was invited to a ball--a Viennese ball, how romantic! Well, the ball was on Monday and she “hadn’t a thing to wear!” On Friday evening, after a fruitless search for an affordable option, Cinderella was feeling a little discouraged BUT…she prayed very earnestly that if the Lord wanted to her to be able to go that an evening gown would be provided.

As Michelle and the aforesaid damsel were preparing to retire that night, Hanna (our hostess) came to say goodnight. Following the advice of some trusted friends,
Cinderella tentatively asked the lady of the castle if she could help her find a ball gown. Hanna looked her in the face for a very long moment and Cinderella felt distinctly that she was being measured by a Hanna's standard of trustworthiness. Finally, she spoke,
“I have ball gowns from the time I was a young girl . . .”
After my gasp of delight and complete astonishment, she trotted away, saying over her shoulder,
“Wait a moment.”
“She’s going to trust me to wear one of her dresses?!” I managed to gasp out in a shocked whisper.
Three minutes later, Hanna returned with three perfect creations of silk and tulle and satin. There was a black and white slip of a gown, a sparkling black and gold evening dress, and a brilliant blue and green kimono.
They all fit like they were made for Cinderella—right size, right length…absolutely perfect! Miracles of miracles! Finally, we settled on the black and gold because I am going to a Carnival ball (But I fell in love with the kimono and want to wear one every day of my life).
And Hanna, my benevolent spirit, inspected and commented on each outfit, bringing in pair after pair of lovely shoes to match! She actually seemed very happy that her dresses were again being coo-ed over and enjoyed. Josef, our host, also gave twinkling-eyed approval (I have recently discovered that he is actually a kindred spirit of the first order).
My first month with the Bernthalers has truly been a humbling experience for me. At first I felt some slight resentment over the strictness of the household routine, our hosts’ seeming aloofness, and the fact that our room never seemed quite clean enough for Hanna (and my sister thought I was a perfectionist). But the Lord taught me some things. He helped me to understand and sympathize with Hanna’s personality and desires as I learned about the ideals of Austria’s older generation through one of my art history teachers. He blessed and helped me to try harder to please Hanna after I studied in Alma 17:10 about Ammon’s obedience and the results of his obedience. In numerous other mini-miracles, the Lord prepared the way so that I could have this bonding time with my hostess and learn to love and appreciate her! I am so thankful for His wisdom and mercy!
And now Cinderella has a gown for the ball! The coach awaits! (Actually...the UBahn is the closest thing to a pumpkin coach I could find. At least it’s orange.).



This post is so great. Can you please post pictures though? I want to see this stunning princess! ;) Luvs!
ReplyDeleteAnd, Cinderella was a beautiful, benevolent and inspiring princess who awed all who gazed upon her beauty! Thank you for this beautiful post, princess Julia. You have such faith and who your love for the Lord in all you do. I'm glad Cinderella got to go to her ball.
ReplyDelete