Tuesday, May 8, 2012

On the street where you live

I love streets. I love their names. I love the way that a name can give a unique personality to every winding lane or crooked alley or wandering path. Some of the many I saw in Europe made me laugh and some made me think, some didn't have (pronounceable) names but were lovely nonetheless, most of them were just interesting or delightful or quaint. I thought I'd share some of my favorites with you! 


Where else do fashionable ladies hold up five-story buildings? On their heads, nonetheless?
 Bognergasse, Vienna



"Blood lane": site of a Knight's Templar massacre in 1312. Cheerful. 
Vienna, Austria
 




 Not a street, but the sign directing us to Mozart's grave.
 St. Marx Cemetery, Vienna.




 I felt like one of these should say "to OZ."
Vienna, Austria




 Fishcourt: a fishermen's market
Vienna, Austria




 I saw a picture of this quaint street on Pintrest before I left the states...living the dream.
Vienna, Austria






Stoß im Himmel or "Kick into Heaven" street. Funny story behind this street: 

According to an old Viennese legend, a vain woman once lived here who accepted a beautiful dress from an old hag (the devil in disguise) with the stipulation that on the third midnight, whatever was covered by the dress would become the old hag’s property. When the woman tried to remove the dress she found it impossible. When the devil came to take her, however, St. Barbara gave the woman a powerful kick which lifted her right out of the dress, the hands of the devil, and into heaven, for under the dress the vain woman had been wearing a medallion to this powerful saint.
 Vienna, Austria




 Talk about a darling Austrian tavern!
Kahlenburg, Austria



 On the street where he lived.
Heiligenstadt, Austria




 Tiffany's on Wallnergasse
Vienna, Austria


 Place de la Concorde where the guillotine stood
 Paris, France


 "Mill of Oats": a pretty farm lane in Normandy
France




Various famous streets in Paris
France



 Had to include the "deluxe toilets" sign
Vienna, Austria



 Venice, my love!
Italy




 Vienna Philharmonic Street...yes please!
Neussdorf, Vienna




 Sign directing us to Gustav Mahler's composition hut.
Steinbach am Attersee, Austria




 Silent Night platz: site of the famous "Silent Night" chapel
Oberndorf, Austria

 My personal favorite.
Vienna, Austria



Welcome to Boston: home sweet home!
 Boston Logan Internat'l Airport, USA


Yes, I loved streets in Europe. But New Hampshire, USA definitely has the best sense of humor. All these streets intersect. 







What is your favorite street?

1 comment: